Friday, June 6, 2014

Training & Injuries


Yep. I'm injured. 

I am currently in my fourth week of training. And although I am slightly injured I'm feelin good about things. 

After the Pineland 10k I realized my foot was hurting. I was certain that I had just twisted it wrong while running through the woods. It took me a full week to admit to myself and others that maaaybeee I should be concerned. The first step is admitting- right? ;) Admitting an injury is my least favorite thing to do. Why? Because you know the answer. 

Rest.

I am lucky to have a smarty pants brother on speed dial when these things happen. Sean is currently working towards his doctorate in Chiropractic (better Seany boy?)

Anyways- this is how the convo went:

Me: Hi Sean! It's me your favorite sister!
Sean: What do you want?

.. Haha just kidding. Sort of.

Sean: Show me where it hurts.
Me: (inserting another picture of my foot- you have been warned).
 

Sean: Posterior Tibial Tendinitis.

 
Boom. Just like that. So I looked it up. Got 2 more opinions- and concluded that this is likely the issue.


Posterior Tibial Tendonitis defined by a blonde girl: 
A common injury to most endurance athletes. Often caused by "rapid" increase in mileage or workouts. It is basically swelling in a tendon called the posterior tibial tendon that runs along the inside and up behind the ankle. Rest is absolutely vital for this injury. God I hate that sentence. (Info taken from an article online written by Kyle Kingsley MD). Needed to give the gent some credit- or else my college professors will come back to haunt me. 

Basically I have a puffy bump on the inside of my ankle that swells on and off throughout the day. It isn't tooooo painful. But just enough for me to know it's injured. I know that rest is important so this is how pitiful my schedule had been this week:


Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Spin 
Wednesday: Spin 
Thursday: Slow 2 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Today will be a rest day
Sunday: I'll go to spin in the morning (Didn't end up going). Bad Tia.


Typing that almost made me swear.


This week was not a happy week for me. I need to be better about cross training vs doing nothing at all. Besides that- I am down one toe nail. I like to think it's my accent nail since that's the trend of 2014. Hopefully until 2080 for that matter.

 
Since I just posted three pictures of my gross foot here are some randoms to erase your memory:) 

My best friend, Louie.
     

New sports bag and compression socks.
Don't mind my slicked back hair and shiny face. Stay tuned for a post on my socks! 
 
 
 
 
  My favorite picture of the week. Brilliant.

 


Blurry picture of all time favorite: DMB. Thank You Tom & Nancy!

 

Now I that I have the mobile blogger app you can expect more posts. Don't worry I will never post 200 pictures of my foot again. 

I hope your all outside today. It's beautiful.

Happy training!

Xo
T